Dr. Sandras and his friendly staff in Larose, LA understand the positive impact a healthy, beautiful smile can have on your life. But what can you do when your teeth begin to yellow and discolor with time? We're here to tell you what you can do to prevent as well as whiten teeth that have become yellow or discolored.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
First off, why do teeth discolor in the first place? There are a variety of reasons, some are more in your control than others. Below is a list of common causes of tooth discoloration:
- Drinking beverages that are high in tannins, including coffee, tea, and red wine
- Eating foods that are high in chromogens (think foods that are deep or richly colored), including pomegranates, blueberries, or vegetable sauces
- Poor dental hygiene habits such as infrequent brushing and flossing
- Medications such as tetracycline, especially when children's teeth are still developing
- Smoking or using other tobacco products
- The age of teeth affects the color, as enamel wears down and exposes the more yellow dentin material beneath.
- Genetics! Some teeth are just naturally whiter due to the amount of enamel they have.
Preventing Your Teeth from Changing Color
Anything from the list above you can avoid... do it! Avoiding excessive amounts of coffee and wine will no doubt help your smile stay bright. The same thing is true for pigment-rich foods. Can't say no to your cup (or two) of morning Joe? Always make sure to brush after meals or drinking beverages like those above. If you can't get to your toothbrush, at a minimum you should make sure to vigorously rinse your mouth with water. Think about it like leaving dishes with food on them in the sink overnight. They're much easier to clean in the morning if you've rinsed the food off, right?
If you are a smoker or tobacco user... you should quit right away! But we know you knew that already. ;-)
The best thing you can do to prevent tooth discoloration is to maintain proper hygiene. That means brushing twice a day for two minutes and flossing daily as well. Also, make sure to contact Dr. Sandras to get regular teeth cleanings and dental checkups.
If the brightness of your smile is making you feel gloomy, Dr. Sandras is here to help! Our office offers the professional teeth whitening system ZOOM!®. This one-visit treatment can whiten your smile up to 8 shades. Unlock other whitening opens, it has shown to cause little to no sensitivity in your teeth. This leaves you free to enjoy your smile right away. On top of that, if you properly care for your teeth at home, your smile will continue to sparkle!
If you are interested in professional teeth whitening, contact Dr. Sandras today for your appointment at our Larose, LA dental office.
We are also offering $150 off ZOOM! In-Office Whitening. You can print our teeth whitening offer here. Call us for details at (985) 798-3800.